Monday, August 5, 2013

The 8 week blur!

Trey and I had our first date night since having Liam and we were talking about what a blur this past 8 weeks has been! Especially for me - I am still on maternity leave, so every day just kinda runs together! Between feedings, naps (or lack thereof), doctors appointments and diapers - I couldn't tell you what I did from one day to the next! But I wouldn't change it for the world! This mommy thing is NOT easy - in fact, my job is way easier, so I have a new found respect for stay at home moms! But as the weeks pass by and my maternity leave creeps to an end, I am starting to get so sad that I won't be spending everyday with Liam! The first day I have to leave him at school is going to be so hard :(

I have been bad about blogging, so I will try to quickly give you a run down of the last few weeks!

Everyday gets better and better, but Liam has had a rough go at it! We have run into a few issues that have kept us at a doctors office at least once a week or more! Nothing serious or anything to worry about, but it has caused Liam (and mommy and daddy) a lot of frustration and worry. He was diagnosed with a breathing condition called Laryngomalacia. It's basically "noisy breathing" due to a flap in his throat not being fully developed. There is nothing we can do to help it except be patient. 90% of kids grow out of it. But it has been super stressful on me since I am at home listening to him all day, everyday! It sounds like he could stop breathing at any moment. He won't, but it sounds like it. And it freaks me out!

We also started having a hard time feeding him! He took anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to eat 2-3 oz and would cry all the way through it. It has gotten worse and worse since week 2 and I have basically been force feeding him for an hour at a time all throughout the day! I have known something was wrong since week 2 and the doctors just wouldn't listen to me. So I turned into that crazy mom who was calling them every other day until we got some answers.  They finally noticed it wasnt gaining weight like he should be! He is only in the 13th percentile of weight right now, weighing 10lbs 6oz. 

Long story short, after multiple visits to his pediatrician, XRays of his throat and chest, a Swallowing study, ultrasound of his brain, eating study with an Occupational Therapist and a consultation with a GI doctor we figured out a few things - 1) he has been aspirating when eating. So he was getting fluid in his airway and into his lungs. This was causing him to not want to eat. 2) He has GERD ( aka acid reflux) which was causing him to throw up and was also painful, causing him not to eat. 3) He has a milk allergy. So after changing formulas, getting on Zantac and thickening up his formula - this kid is sucking down bottles left and right! Thank goodness!!! And thank goodness it is all stuff that he will just grow out of and gets better with time! 

Other than that, Liam is doing great!! He is getting more and more smiley every day! The mornings are my favorite time of day with him! After he wakes up around 630 or 7, he is so wide awake and alert and ready to talk! He loves for you to talk to him! He just stares and smiles and gets so excited! It's so cute! I am really sad that I won't get this time with him everyday when I go back to work! I am definitely taking in every second of every day right now knowing its coming to an end in just one short month. 


He is also getting so good at holding his head up and loving tummy time!! He is super curious and wants to look around at everything!




1 comment:

  1. Love all the pics! I am so happy Liam is eating better and happier! Way to go baby Liam!!!

    ReplyDelete